What to Pack for a Charter Fishing Trip
Gearing up for an exciting Alaskan fishing charter? Don’t forget to pack everything you need for your trip! Bringing a few shirts, pants and a jacket isn’t enough to ensure a productive, enjoyable trip. Here’s a brief guide to help you pack for a charter fishing trip.
When you’re packing for an Alaskan fishing charter, your choice of clothing is extremely important. Even the warmest destinations experience large drops in temperature the further you go offshore, and in a place like Alaska, temperatures aren’t too high to begin with. You need to make sure you always have access to appropriate clothing to maintain an ideal level of comfort during your trip. The following items are essential when packing for an Alaskan fishing trip:
- Long pants
- Heavy jacket
- Lightweight shirt
- Light-colored clothing
- Non-skid rubber-soled shoes
Since you’re going to be out in the open for extended periods of time during your fishing expedition, you need to bring the right gear to stay protected from the elements. Be sure to pack the following items:
- Sunscreen: Even in a place like Alaska, the sun’s harmful rays can do damage to your skin. Choose a sunscreen that offers protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Lip balm: Lip balm is almost like sunscreen for your lips. Protect your lips from the sun by always keeping a stick handy.
- Hat: Hats provide some protection from the wind and rain as well as the sun’s harmful rays.
- Waterproof jacket/rain pants: You should always bring a set of waterproof clothing with you for protection in case of rain.
Unless you don’t plan on catching fish on your expedition, storage is an important consideration to keep in mind as you pack for a charter fishing trip. You need to bring the following containers with you on your voyage:
- Cooler: This is perhaps the most important storage item you should bring on your trip, since it’ll keep your catches cool during the time you’re out at sea. Bring plenty of ice with you to keep everything cool.
- Bottle: Bring a bottle of water with you so you can stay hydrated during your trip.
- Waterproof backpack or bag: You’ll likely bring your camera, fishing license and some electronic items with you during your trip. Keep them all safe and secure from rain or sea spray by investing in a quality waterproof bag.
You’ll want to bring your camera, a hand towel and maybe even a swimsuit with you on your trip. A first aid kit is always a necessity, and bring some sanitizer, bug spray and any prescription medicines you need with you in your bag. Finally, you’ll definitely want to bring your rod and reel with you, since catching fish is the reason you’re going on your voyage in the first place!
A fishing charter is only successful if you’ve packed the right gear for your trip. Contact Phantom Tri-River Charters today to learn more about what to pack for an Alaskan fishing charter or to choose the right charter trip for you.
Categorised in: Alaskan Fishing Trip