When it comes to fishing excursions in Alaska, you are sure to catch some salmon, as the local waterways are chock full of many different species of this type of fish. Knowing the best way to catch salmon can make you more successful when fishing in Alaska, and may even help you reel in a big one. Here are some tips to keep in mind when you are fishing for salmon on the Alaskan waterways:
- Keep your hooks sharp: This is an important one, as salmon have thick jaws that require a sharp hook. Nothing is more disappointing than losing that catch, so you want to make sure you are able to reel it in. A sharp hook will ensure you are able to set the hook and get the catch you have always dreamed about. Fishing excursions in Alaska will be sure to have the proper equipment to catch salmon, including sharp hooks.
- Choose the right bait: A good bait to use for catching salmon is roe eggs. This live bait attracts salmon and can help you lure in your catch. Another good option is to go with a spinner lure, as this too will attract salmon by its movement and shiny surface. Either option is sure to have you catching your limit of salmon.
- Make sure the conditions are right: While salmon are best caught on an overcast day, the guides aboard fishing excursions in Alaska will know the right place and time to catch salmon. They have years of experience on the Alaskan waterways, and even if the day you have planned isn’t optimal for catching salmon, you are sure to catch another type of fish that will be nearly as exciting.
- Drift your line: This is especially true when fishing on a river, as this will make your bait move and act as natural as possible. Just cast your line upstream and allow it to drift downstream. This will attract salmon in no time and have you reeling in plenty of fish during fishing excursions in Alaska. A fishing guide will be able to show you how it’s done and help you perfect your technique.
- Watch the water: If you see herring jumping, this is a good indication that salmon are nearby. Salmon feed on herring, and when they are moving, so are the salmon! Get your hook ready when you see this action, as the bites will come quickly and you will need to be prepared.
While fishing excursions in Alaska will take care of all the necessities for salmon fishing, you need to be ready to fish. Stay alert and ready to take control of your line, as the bites will come fast and have you reeling in more than you can imagine. Contact Phantom Tri-River Charters to set up your fishing charter. We take reservations as well as walk-ins for our fishing charters, which are sure to have you reeling in plenty of salmon. Get in touch for more details!
Categorised in: Fishing Excursions